Sunday, 6 September 2015

September 5th 2015: Norway: Bergen 6

Monty the Motorhome is wondering if he has emigrated and the Bergenshallen is his new home.

However homebound thoughts are with us, as today is the last full day in Norway.

We did a bit of food shopping to get food for the next few days and then down to the boat for another of Rachael’s special waffle breakfasts. 
Suitably fortified all three of us set off to the Bergen Beer and Food Festival. It was a lovely sunny day, though a bit breezy, so ideal for wandering round such a venue. Half Bergen seemed to have the same idea - it was very busy. Starting with the beer there were over 35 different breweries represented, each of which had between three and eight brews available. IPA and Stout seemed the two most common. We bought seven tokens, which also included a glass (probably about a quarter of a pint) and got sampling. The unanimous favourite was Russian Imperial Stout - rich malty chocolate tones and slightly sweet.
Then on to the food part. This was more busy and some stalls were a challenge to approach. Fish, soft fruit products and dried/preserved meats seemed to dominate, though there were all sorts of other ‘bits’. We ended up getting a bit of Morello Cherry Chutney and some Undredal goat brown cheese. So not a lot, but still worth going to browse and nibble on the tasting portions laid out by main stalls.

Back to the boat for a rest, before walking into town again for a return to Da Stefano, the Italian restaurant we visited last week. I wrote then that we considered this to be our favourite, so tonight took Rachael there for a meal. Ruth stuck with the Gnocchi we had last week- just as good as before. Rachael and I went for the Pizza - luckily I ordered a small one as when they came ‘small’ was the last word on my mind.
However there was enough room for puds. Creme brûlée, ice cream and apple cake were all put away, before a weary walk back.

Ivar returned home from work shortly after we left the restaurant, though only briefly as he’s away again very early tomorrow. So we very quickly said hello, but almost immediately said goodbye again. 

Then back to Monty and collapse into bed. This post has been written up and posted first thing on Sunday morning - I had no energy last night.

Note - there will be a delay in the next two posts, as we will have no internet connection on the overnight ferry to Denmark (Sunday), and also no connection in Germany (Monday), so it is likely to be Tuesday (Holland) before the next one goes out

No comments:

Post a Comment